Cut segment of our Halloween video + some extra insight on how and why I made it



Hi everyone it's me Owen for the first time on this blog I don't know how blogs work I'm so sorry.

So the following was written by me before I really understood what Atobibas wanted for the video. I was just kind of going crazy with the 'analysis' and it ended up being too long and strange. We settled with a shortened version that cut out most if not all of the fun insane stuff, but fit better in the context of our list. BUT we couldn't let it go to waste! It was just TOO INTERESTING (atobibas words not mine). Originally he said I should do a second channel video about it, but I really didn't feel like it so hey, I'm just copying the thing onto the dead blog for the few people who are interested. Hope you have fun reading my silly little text in which I make up so much bullsh*t that the comic starts to sound like some kind of incredible psychological metaphorical horror masterpiece.


Mickey Mouse and the old “Typington” (Owen)
by Enrico Faccini is a story not unlike many others. Smart, weird, but above all scary. But at the same time, it is a story unlike many others. Let me tell you why.
In this story Minnie has written a thriller book for a contest, and she really wants to win because the best story will be published by a real publisher! Mickey doesn’t think she will make it though. As you can only write a good detective with lots of experience as such a detective! He just hasn’t written any because he’s always so busy. So Mickey’s friends challenge him to go somewhere he can’t be disturbed for a week, and write his masterpiece of fiction. Which is exactly what he does. The first thing at least. The writing part proves to be a lot more difficult, especially when an old typewriter he finds starts typing out of itself.
In this story Faccini manages to create an atmosphere and narrative that is simultaneously absurd and genuinely creepy. Giving the entire comic a dream-like feel. The typewriter almost acts like Mickey’s brain during this dream, coming up with random nonsensical events that guide him through this narrative that feels both artificial and arbitrary.
Though the typewriter is a mirror of Mickey’s brain in more ways than one. It’s obvious that even before he finds the typewriter, Mickey is struggling with heavy writer's block. Sitting at his laptop for hours, not being able to get a single word written (he’s just like me fr). Everytime he comes up with a new opening, he immediately rejects the idea, deeming it either too cliche, not original enough, or just straight up garbage. Questioning how he can find a way to solve this.
The moment he finds the typewriter, he first starts randomly typing some letters to test if it still works. To his surprise, a comprehensible sentence comes out. An answer to his question: “Of course I still work, what did you think?” It’s funny, eery, but also true in a literal sense.
As the typewriter has also answered his other question: What to do about this writer's block? The answer: Just start writing, and something will come out.
From this moment the typewriter is impossible to stop. It doesn’t even need Mickey anymore, it will just start out of itself. But it’s also printing pages with text that Mickey really doesn’t like. At some point he even tries to destroy it. He’s getting incredibly anxious from all that the typewriter is saying. It’s overwhelming him with thoughts.
When at the climax, it becomes too much for him, it is finally revealed to Mickey that all what the typewriter has spewn out was from an external source. As in the end, nothing is truly new. Everything is made up of what one sees around themselves, and it’s only then that Mickey can have his happy ending and…
I’m going way off the rails, am I not. I’m sorry. It’s just… This thing that I’m typing on… It makes it all so much easier to let the letters flow…
It’s a pretty good laptop.
The comic does a great job at giving you some moments that make you truly shiver. Even at the end of the story, it leaves not everything explained so you don’t feel completely at rest. And it shows Mickey slowly going insane, which is always a plus in my book.



I honestly could've gone on about how the typewriter is making Mickey believe there are things wrong when everything is alright, and how that is again a metaphor for his anxiety, but like I'm done writing about this silly little story lol. *Spoiler territory for this story I guess* Also probably could think of what it means that Mickey's friends are the ones behind everything (except for ig the scarecrow which is just like idunno some goober chilling and wanted to partake in the fun. I mean a metaphor for how some mysteries of our world cannot be solved even if we think it has been, and is also simultaneously a metaphor for third parties secretly joining in on more than we know and would want to.) aside from that you shouldn't be like Mickey at the start because THAT'S JUST MEAN. Like euhh maybe that your biggest fears are always related to those closest to you. *end of spoilers lol if anyone cared* Like I said I'm bullsh*tting my way through this entire story and that's all great and fun but at some point it just gets boring and the same ideas start to come up. Metaphor this, metaphor that. It was too tedious, so I think it's good we ended up cutting it.

What I was trying here was slightly parody those really long analyses of certain things. With a lot of inspiration being taken from those long Italian Inducks reviews. One for an X-Mickey story (i think it was Enna and Vian, there was like a fair and stuff it was an alright X-Mickey story) and this guy just praised it to the moon and talked about how the people coming back from the fair because of Pipwolf's wish and not dying because of it was like super poetic and I just thought: NAH that is just lazy writing. AND I SAY THAT AS A HUGE ENNA FAN. Like I liked it, but it really wasn't that deep. It was just something he came up with to have a story. You can make anything sound hashtag ar slash I'm fourteen and this is deep by writing long texts about it.

Or if you have seen art scholars. These people looking at old paintings and spending years talking about how these pencil strokes by Van Gogh are super genius and reflect his mental state and a vision of the earth and human life. Bro, Van Gogh just did that because he thought it looked nice and because he wanted to sell it to pay for food it's not that complicated. Or when they start to talk about Karel Appel. Yeah no, he was just drunk or let his little nephew have a shot at the ol' brush and canvas.

But to get back at ducks, there are also the people analyzing Barks' work of course. He is undeniably a genius storyteller and artist, but some people might see a little too much into it.

So I was like WELL I CAN DO THAT TOO SUCKERS! Ended up writing what you have read, to prove that I can make this Faccini story that I don't even like THAT much (i initially wanted a story from casty to make it to the list instead https://inducks.org/s.php?c=I+TL+2955-2) sound like I find it to be some 10/10 masterpiece. I would probably give it an 8 or mayyyybe 9 on Inducks. Will probably do after writing this blog entry.

But after writing it... I don't know. I started to... Genuinely appreciate the story more than I did before. 
After looking so much into it and writing about it, I genuinely actually... just like the story more. 
The genuine scaryness of some parts, the abstract absurdity, all things I didn't look out for at first, but I now noticed because of my pseudo analysis. It's the opposite of what happened with my Mad Ducktor video, I'm realizing it now! I first thought it was just an ok story, but after the almost 20 minute video I made about it, it has made me realize how stupid "The Other Side Of Me" really was.
And guess what, someone finds it interesting what I have written! I take a look at it again, and yeah it's not very good, but someone, with as much genuineness as can be, sees at least something in it. It is something and it's there. And maybe I myself can also get something from it. 
I as many also often have writers block. How did I overcome it for this post? By just starting! It's the message I myself took out of the story. And that message has now helped me to write real things! 

So, now I have proven that everyone is looking too much into things, it's not that deep bro, it wasn't intended to be seen as this or that.

But does that matter? No! Art is what YOU see in it, and it is what you can make of it as well! That's what's so nice and cool about it, SUBJECTIVITY!

Of course Faccini didn't intend the typewriter from his stupid 30 page Topolino horror comedy to be a metaphor for anxiety or writers block. But if you can see that connection, and it means something for you, then that metaphor is valid! You have added that something to it as well. Bo Burnham singing about burrito's is actually a metaphor for his feelings. He didn't intend it to be, but that doesn't mean it isn't there, and doesn't genuinely make people go he's so me fr. That feeling, that what you and others have made from it, is just as real as the work itself and the author's intentions behind it. That is what "art is subjective" means. Or not. If you like it to mean something else. Art is just a bunch of slop that you can headcanon to your wishes.

So even if what I have written was originally intended as bullsh*t, the fact that Atobibas saw it as genuinely interesting is enough to see it as valid. IMHO.

Man and to think the reason I wanted to put it on the blog was so I wouldn't have to write more. Welp, that's just what happens when you have too much fun bullsh*tting about a bunch of bullsh*t and turn it into a very amateur pseudo essay about the meaning of art.

Please subscribe to out YouTube channels and follow the blog lol. I don't even know if you can do that. Following blogs. Oh well doesn't matter. Have a nice day, fellow... Ducks and micer's?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kafkaesque situations in Disney Comics

Ducks 'N Mice Summer Update!